Psychology of skills recognition

The only strengths people recognize in people around them are usually what they perceive to be their weaknesses. Furthermore, people fail to see strengths in others in areas they think that they are very strong. For example, when I was doing marketing, my "bosses" recognized only my analytical/financial skills. Now that I am in finance, my "bosses" only recognize my marketing/messaging skills.

Now, why is that? One explanation may be that people operate under the assumption that if I am the "boss" in marketing, I am better than everyone else in my team in marketing. And, this may be due to the sense of security most people need psychologically.

Popular posts from this blog

Obituary: Charles T. Munger

Systems Thinking as taught by Ackoff

Dynamics Of The Technology Ecosystem