Hotel Corona - Shelter In Place (Today's version of Hotel California song)

On a bright sunny morning, no wind anywhere
Warm smell of breakfast, rising through the air 
Up ahead in the distance, I saw a Zoom call
My head grew heavy and my sight grew dim 
I had to step up to my desk. 

There stood Zoom in macbook;
I heard the Slack notification 
And I was thinking to myself 
'This could be bad or this could be hell'
Then I double clicked the touchpad and macOS showed me the way
There were voices on the Zoom call, 
I thought I heard them say

Welcome to the Hotel Corona - Shelter in place 
Such a lonely place
Such a lonely place
Plenty of room at the Hotel Corona - Shelter in place 
This time of the pandemic, you can find me here

My mind is tech-twisted, I got a lot of gadgets
I got a lot of pretty, pretty toys, I call apps 
How they dance on my iPhone, sweet spring sweat 
Some apps I remember, some I forget 

So I called up the Google assistant,
'Please bring me my contingency plan'
He said, 'we haven't seen the pandemic plan since 1969'
And still those voices are calling from far away, 
Wake you up in the middle of the night 
Just to hear them say 

Welcome to the Hotel Corona - Shelter in place 
Such a lonely place 
Such a lonely place 
They are working from home at the Hotel Corona - Shelter in place 
What a bad surprise, you can't bring your alibis 

Coworkers in pajamas on the video 
Kids crying in the back
And I said, 'we are all just prisoners here, not of our own device'
And in the weekly meeting, 
They gathered for the updates 
They have many plans to survive 
But they just can't kill the virus 

Last thing I remember, I was 
Running for the door
I had to find the passage to where I was before 
'Relax' said the Facebook feed,
'We are programmed to receive 
You can checkout anytime, 
But you can not leave!'


Popular posts from this blog

Obituary: Charles T. Munger

Systems Thinking as taught by Ackoff

Dynamics Of The Technology Ecosystem